Rebecca Compton is a certified leader of the Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work program, offering Gottman Method couples therapy and marriage counseling to residents of Madison, WI and the surrounding area.
What is the Gottman Method?
The Gottman Method is a unique form of couples therapy that grew out of decades of research by Dr. John Gottman on what factors make couples stay together, or not. Through his research, Gottman was able to identify the behaviors that create successful marriages. One of his most famous findings was that if couples can express their disagreements constructively, then conflict can actually be a positive force in their relationship.
Together with his wife, Dr. Julie Gottman, John turned his findings into a positive program to build happy, healthy relationships. He published these in his best-selling Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, and systematized them into the ‘Gottman Method’, which has become the most popular and effective form of couples therapy in America. There are nine principles of the Gottman Method.
- Build love maps. Discover your partner’s inner world.
- Share fondness and admiration. By expressing appreciation and respect, you find the antidote for contempt, the no. 1 relationship destroyer.
- Turn towards. Reach out and connect with your partner in the small moments of everyday life.
- The positive perspective. Get the right attitude to solving your problems.
- Manage conflict. Most conflicts cannot be solved, but you can make them a positive part of your relationship.
- Make life dreams come through. Create an atmosphere where you can express your hopes and values together.
- Create shared meaning. Construct a vision of your relationship you both understand.
- Trust. Know that your partner ‘has your back’.
- Commitment. Believe that your relationship is for life, and act on that belief.
Reach out today
To learn more about how the Gottman Method can give bring you lifelong relationship happiness, call today or fill out the contact form and click send.
Rebecca Compton’s practice in Madison, WI, is conveniently located near the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Hilldale Shopping Center, and Shorewood Hills. She also serves the communities of Middleton, Verona, and Fitchburg.Please share this post!